Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chinese Buzzwords & Slang

Language is constantly evolving. New words are coined on a regular basis, new expressions come into common use and Mandarin is by no means an exception. Language students and translators are often confronted with unknown terms and buzzwords and those living outside of the Sinosphere will be at a certain disadvantage. While it is generally accepted that immersion in a foreign language environment is one of the best ways to develop and maintain one's language skills, the Internet can offer a helping hand to those who wish to learn a new language or expand their vocabulary.

As a volunteer translator and Sinophile, living outside of a Mandarin-speaking environment has had a detrimental impact on my spoken Mandarin. The Internet has been a valuable source of information and has allowed me to continue to expand my vocabulary and keep up with the latest news and trends in Mainland China. When I embarked on my quest to learn Mandarin, I was taught using textbooks which were quite blatantly out of date. The Practical Chinese Reader series that I relied on in my first year at university gave me a good introduction to Chinese grammar and hanzi but it was clear that the recommended form of address, "comrade" (同志), wasn't going to cut it in 21st Century China.**

Likewise, many of the buzzwords and slang I learnt during my university days have fallen out of common use. New technologies and trends have sparked a new generation of idiomatic expressions and jargon, so to avoid being left behind in linguistic limbo, I have sought out a few blogs which focus partly, if not solely, on contemporary buzzwords and slang so that I can keep myself abreast of all the latest lingo.

Language learning is a never-ending process and only a fool would claim to know it all. Even after 10 years of Mandarin study, I feel like I have merely scratched the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Fellow Mandarin learners who feel the urge to keep up with all the latest trends and buzzwords should consider checking out the links below :
If anyone knows of a blog, website or online dictionary that should be on this list, please feel free to let me know.

** It's interesting to note that the term 同志 is now used to refer to members of the gay and lesbian community, so it's probably best not to address anyone as "comrade" for fear of calling their sexual preferences into question.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Salji Fuji' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP